The Field Guide to the New American Foodshed features a library of various resources mentioned throughout the guide. It is a library in progress. The National Good Food Network welcomes additions and will build a categorized list of library resources over time.
- AgPlan AgPlan helps rural business owners develop a business plan. Center for Farm Financial Management, University of Minnesota
- Farmer’s Guide to On-Farm Food Safety Certification An introduction to food safety, plus tools, resources and first steps. Wallace Center / National Good Food Network
- Grower to grower: Creating a livelihood on a fresh market vegetable farm A study of vegetable farms at three scales of operation. John Hendrickson, CIAS Outreach Specialist, Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems, University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, October, 2005
- Guide to USDA Funding for Local and Regional Food Systems This guide begins with a general overview of the USDA’s structure, followed by descriptions and details of fifteen grants and programs that are relevant to local and regional food systems development. Each program description also includes a case study of a real-world regional food system project that received program funding. National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition, April 2010.
- Model Business Plan for Season Extension with Hoophouses This is an excellent resource for growers considering a hoophouse. Michigan State University Extension, June 2010
- One Page Risk Management Plan The One-Page Risk Management Plan helps current and aspiring farmers and ranchers focus on the risks their businesses face, and those actions that can be taken to mitigate those risks. This will provide input for business and financial plans.
- One Page Risk Management Plan - Editable If you would prefer to fill out your One Page Risk Management Plan on your computer, download this spreadsheet version. Note that there is a sample, partially completed form in the second tab of this document.
- One Page Risk Management Plan Completed A sample completed One Page Risk Management Plan, to give a sense for how one would begin to use this document.
- One-Page Business Plan The One-Page Business Plan helps aspiring farmers and ranchers zero in on the core considerations that will drive their businesses and which also provide the basis for a more detailed business plan. Farm Credit Council
- One-Page Financial Plan The One-Page Financial Plan guides entrepreneurs through the key calculations for determining costs, income, and profit. Farm Credit Council
- USDA New Farmer Website USDA's New Farmers website has in depth information for new farmers and ranchers, including: how to increase access to land and capital; build new market opportunities; participate in conservation opportunities; select and use the right risk management tools; and access USDA education, and technical support programs. The website will also feature instructive case studies.
- Virtual Business Center Online center that provides resources for agricultural and rural businesses. Virginia FAIRS